Become a Personal Trainer – NSCA Personal Training Certification
Two Study Options:
- 200 Hour Personal Trainer Institute Course, Dec. 3-14, 2013, M-F, 8-5 p.m. $1750 (normally $3500)
- 650 Hour Complete Program, 9-12 months, See course catalog for all dates, $3750 (normally $7,500)
Download School Catalog (contains prices, dates, curriculum, application)
The personal training certification course prepares individuals to provide personal fitness programs for apparently healthy individuals. The course is designed to give students the theoretical and practical experience needed for a successful career foundation within the fitness industry working one-on-one with clients or in small group sessions.
The course will provide:
- Personal lectures and individual coaching for practical skillss (assessment, program design and coaching)
- Study materials to prepare for the national certification exam administered by National Strength and Condition Association (NSCA) NSCA
- Getting started resources and career placement advisement
The course materials are directly based on the National Strength and Condition Association (NSCA) standards and guidelines. Upon completion of the course, students will be prepared to sit for the NSCA-CPT exam. The course also serves well as a basic introduction to other fitness careers. Students can elect to take only the 200 Hour Personal Trainer Institute (prep course for the national exam) or the entire 650 hour curriculum.
Our program includes:
- Pilates and yoga training
- Sports training and program design
- Sports nutrition and planning
- Fitness therapy
- program design for cardiovascular, resistance training and flexibility
Personal Training Certification Coursework:
- 120 Hour Anatomy I and II
- 120 Hour Nutrition I and II
- 200 Hour Personal Trainer Institute
- 60 Hour Business and Ethics
- 60 Hour Lifestyle Coaching
- 80 Hour Practicum
- 8 Hour CPR
Personal Training Certification -Frequently Asked Questions
- What is NSCA? The National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) is an international, nonprofit, educational association representing personal trainers, strength training and conditioning professionals, sports science researchers, athletic trainers, sports medicine therapists and physicians, students and others interested in fitness and strength and conditioning activities and their relationship to overall sports and fitness performance. Link to NSCA’s personal training certification Handbook.
- What does a personal trainer do? Personal trainers are health/fitness professionals who, using an individualized approach, assess, motivate, educate and train clients regarding their health and fitness needs. They design safe and effective exercise programs, provide the guidance to help clients achieve their personal health/fitness goals and respond appropriately in emergency situations. Recognizing their own area of expertise, personal trainers refer clients to other health care professionals when appropriate.
- Who is the NSCA-CPT exam for? A: The NSCA-Certified Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT) certification was developed in 1993 for professionals who work one-on-one with their clients in a variety of environments, including health/fitness clubs, wellness centers, schools and clients’ homes. The exam thoroughly tests the knowledge and skills that are necessary to successfully train both active and sedentary physically healthy individuals, as well as individuals with special needs.
- Is the certification well known and respected? The certification is accepted by employers nationally. Today, more than 8,000 fitness professionals hold this prestigious credential. The NSCA-CPT became the first personal training credential to be nationally accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) in 1996 and has continued to set the standard for personal training as the most well-respected personal trainer certification through national and international recognition.
- What does the exam cover? A: The NSCA-CPT examination includes 140 multiple-choice questions, 35 of which correspond with 35 video segments. The video segments assess knowledge primarily in the areas of fitness testing protocols and exercise techniques. The examination format also includes scenarios in which candidates are provided with a variety of information (similar to case studies) about a client and are prompted to answer several questions relative to the scenario. The examination breakdown by content area is as follows: Client Consultation/Assessment 20%, Program Planning 35%, Techniques of Exercise 35%, Safety, Emergency Procedures and Legal Issues 10%. The time required to sit for the exam is approximately three hours. Candidates achieving a passing score will be awarded the NSCA-CPT credential.
- Will the KCFitnessLink Personal Trainer Certification course guarantee that I pass the NSCA-CPT exam? While the course is very comprehensive in nature, no course can guarantee successful completion of the NSCA-CPT exam.
- What are the requirements for taking the exam? A: To qualify for the NSCA-CPT examination, you must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or equivalent. Current CPR certification is also a requirement. If you do not have current CPR certification, you can still register for and take the NSCA-CPT examination. The NSCA Certification Commission will not release your exam scores until they have received documentation of your valid CPR certification. While a formal fitness degree is not required, it is suggested that those with minimal fitness backgrounds enroll in a certification prep course such as the one offered by KCFITNESSLINK.
- What is the cost for the NSCA-CPT exam? Cost can vary depending on your NSCA member status and the time you register. Read more.
- Is the course only for those interested in being a personal trainer? The course is designed for anyone wishing to increase their knowledge of fitness. The course is a good introduction to exercise science basics required for all fitness careers. The material is tailored toward the NSCA-CPT exam.
- What amterials are used in the course? Course materials can be found in our online bookstore.