Yoga Teacher Training in Hatha, Vinyasa and Power Yoga
KCFitnessLink’s Balance Yoga Certification offers a transformative, nurting environment to deepen your practice and grow as a teacher and student. Whether you want to teach part-time, volunteer or make yoga a career, we are here to help you along the way. Darryl Olive, the Director of Programs, has been conducting yoga teacher training programs and fitness certifications since 2000, and has set up hundreds of yoga instructors for success in the field of teaching yoga and providing yoga therapy. We are passionate about healthy living and yoga!
Download School Catalog (contains prices, dates, curriculum, application)
Yoga Teacher Training Learning Options
- Two week yoga intensives: Two week intensives are in a Monday-Friday, 8-5 p.m. format, with about 2-4 hours pf personal study and homework each night. Of all formats, we recommend this experience. It’s transformative on many levels: physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. We live and breathe yoga for two weeks. Prior to starting the intensive students complete a mini online yoga course in yoga and preparatory course in anatomy.
- Weekend yoga certification program: This yoga teacher training format offers training on Saturdays for four hours, generally 3:30-7:30 p.m. or 5-9 p.m. This is the perfect format for locals who can’t attend a two week intensive. Prior to starting the intensive students complete a mini online yoga course in yoga and preparatory course in anatomy.
- Online Yoga Certification: The online yoga course is the same curriculum as our live classes, except it is delivered online through our learning management system, EDU 2.0. There are no hard deadlines or academic calendar. A suggestive learning plan is provided upon registration for the yoga teacher training course. The online course is NOT approved by he Yoga Alliance.
- Hybrid Bridge Program: The hybrid bridge combines online training, mentorship, assisting and a few additional requirements to meet Yoga Alliance needs. Read more about our bridge option. The hybrid yoga teacher training experience is self-paced. There are no hard deadlines or academic calendar. A suggestive learning plan is provided upon registration for the yoga teacher training course. Students are required to attend 40 hours of yoga classes under an E-RYT and have 180 hours of mentoring from an E-RYT in all of the Balance Yoga curriculum areas (the same as the live classes). A detailed learning plan and contact hours are scheduled with the E-RYT. Each participant pays the E-RYT directly for the additional contact hours, which is in addition to the course tuition.
Yoga Teacher Training Curriculum for Live Classes (two-week or weekend option):
- Phase 1 Home study: Before beginning the class, students read several articles and pre-read the course books for the course. Students also complete the Anatomy Coloring book as a prep to anatomy discussions.
- Phase 2 The live class: Students take the two week intensive or weekend program.
- Phase 3 Post live training requirements: To complete the course student do student teaching, teach a workshop, do volunteer hours, keep a personal journal, get CPR certified and do a mini-meditation home study course.
About the Yoga Certification Course (Yoga Teacher Training Course Outline):
The comprehensive yoga teacher training course covers meets Yoga Alliance requirements and includes:
- Principles of total wellness and fitness
- Yoga history and philosophy
- Yoga asana, breathing and meditation techniques
- Anatomy and physiology
- Teaching methodology, alignment and sequencing
- Professional considerations, safety, liability and continuing
- Holistic health and nutrition
- Yoga teaching written and practical exam
Frequently Asked Yoga Certification Questions:
- When do you offer the training? We offer the live classes 6 times per year in two formats. View our catalog and class schedule.
- How do I enroll? An application and enrollment agreement is located at the end of our school catalog.
- What experience or pre-requisites are required for the yoga teacher training course? Teaching experience is not required. It is suggested that students have a substantial personal practice of yoga. We have a diverse student base with some students with minimal experience and others with 10-30 years of experience.
- Do I have to be able to do headstand or handstand? Absolutely not. We recognize that each student is unique and has different physical capabilities and desired for their personal practice. There is no reason to require the ability to do inversions to successfully complete our yoga training.
- What are the ages of the yoga teacher training participants? Ages range from 19-75. The average ages are 30-40.
- Do we accept hours from other yoga teacher training programs? No. Yoga Alliance requires that students get all of their hours from one providers. They do not allow you to piecemeal your certification hours together from multiple providers anymore.
- Is KCFitnessLink a registered yoga school? Yes. Our yoga teacher training programs are recognized at the 200 and 500 hour level.
- What happens once I complete the yoga teacher training course? How do I register with Yoga Alliance? Upon completing all of your phase 3 requirements, KCFitnessLink will mail you a certificate. You can then register for the Yoga Alliance with a copy of that certificate.
- To maintain my Yoga Alliance registry what do I need to do? Students must meet 75 hours each year. Review Yoga Alliance requirements here.
- How much can I expect to earn as a yoga instructor? Yoga instructor pay varies by geographic location, experience, credentials and type of facility. Pay arrangements can vary from hourly, to per class, to per head with or without a base pay. Average pay may be $20-$45 per class or $50-$125 per hour for privates.
- Are there any scholarships or financial aid? Yes, we offer work study scholarships, an internal payment plan (loan) of 4% or recommend career training loans. See our catalog for details.
- What is the difference between the online yoga teacher training course and the live class? Live classes have live instruction from a teacher. Our online classed have on demand instruction and assistance by phone, email and Skype support. Live classes offer the opportunity to interact and learn from other students. Online classes are good for motivated, visual learners.
- What are some unique aspects about the KCFitnessLink yoga teacher program? We offer small class sizes, a family like environment, an easy-going approach and free classes at out studio while you are a teacher in the program!
- Do you offer yoga teacher training outside of Kansas City in my area? Yes, we occasionally offer our yoga training programs outside of Kansas City. We would love to come to your area. For more information, read more about our facility yoga hosting program.
- How long does it take to complete the live class/online yoga certification? There are no hard deadlines for phase 3 of the live class format or the complete online yoga certification option. In general, it takes about 6-8 months to finish the requirements for most students. Others take as long as 1-2 years.
- I am coming to the training from out of town. Where can I stay? We have a list of recommended hotels in our catalog. We also offer a student housing program where you stay with former graduates of the program for $100 per week. All food, pay and living arrangements are made between the student and the host. KCFitnessLink provide the e-mail and phone numbers of student host upon registration.
- How much is the yoga teacher training course? All prices are listed in our school catalog.
- What materials do you use for the course? Our most update course materials are reflected in our online bookstore.
- I’m interested in coming to your yoga classes before I sign up for your teacher training. Is this a good idea? Yes and no. Yes, you can come to our location, get a feel for the atmosphere and the culture. However, attending a yoga class doesn’t give you an accurate portrayal of what you will learn and what will be addressed in a teacher training. We highly recommend attending one of our open houses/career fairs or schedule a one-on-one appointment with our staff to go over the programs of interest.
- When are your enrollment deadlines? We must have your application at least 3 days prior to live classes. It is strongly recommended that you register 30 days in advance for live classes to meet pre-live class home study requirements (e.g. reading course books and articles before the live class starts). Another factor to consider is that we limit enrollment to 10 people. See our schedule.